Sunday, January 31, 2010

Just Updating

Catching up to keep this current. I got a new part time job that I started this past Wednesday the 27th of Jan. I'm working at the First Baptist Church of Garland in the childcare dept. The church provides free child care for those attending the ESL (English as a second language) program and for those going for their GED's. We had 20 kids age three and under, fourteen of them were Hispanic and of those fourteen only two spoke English. It was much different from childcare at our church, Lake Pointe. Not that it was bad, but just different. The lack of communication was the hardest, but in the end, the kids just really wanted to be loved and made feel safe away from mom and dad. I held the crying 18 month old for an hour and a half before he finally gave up and fell asleep. I didn't feel like I helped out much, but the ladies I worked with said that it was the best way I could have helped. Everyone seemed to be really nice and the parents seemed to be appreciative. It is hard breaking from the norm and stepping out of my comfort zone, but I think this will work out just fine. I'm working Wednesday and Sunday nights, and then also one Friday night a month. It isn't much money but some is better than none. I now have three part time jobs. I'm really trying to do anything I can so that I don't have to go back to work full time and put the kids in day care.
Katelyn is old enough and responsible enough to leave at home, but Owen is not and would have to go to Day care.
Last weekend our garage door broke. Joe left for work and when it came down the spring broke. I heard the noise but didn't think much of it, just thought it was thundering outside. The kids and I got up and got ready for their basket ball games and when we were leaving I tried to open the garage door and it started to twist and bend. My first thought was...great we don't have the money to fix this, and then the second one was of the noise I heard earlier.
Quickly called a friend and asked her to take Katelyn to her game. One crisis averted. Next I called Joe at work and told him what had happened. He came home and took apart the garage door so we could get my car out. We ran to Home Depot and to Lowe's to see about getting a new garage door, but they were very expensive and five to six weeks out.
Joe and I decided we would just try to fix the door as best we could to at least get it closed and keep the house secure.
He went back to work and I continued my day.
When he got home we hammered the two bent panels back in place as best we could and then put the door back together.
At least the garage was closed.
On Sunday of last week our microwave caught on Fire. We got it out and taken down which left a lovely hole in our kitchen where it once was. Boy, I never realized how much I use the microwave until we didn't have one. I must admit I'm to spoiled. I kept thinking of the times before they had such luxuries and wondered how they made it. Sounds terrible I know.
The week was crazy and extremely busy. I'm exhausted but have no time to rest as I have to be to work in about three hours.
This week is gearing up to be another busy one. I'm thankful that we are all healthy, I have so many friends who kids are sick right now. Praying we don't fall ill to that.

No comments: